Sunday 20 May 2012

Anniversary of Anne Boleyn's execution

The 19th of May is the anniversary of the execution of Anne Boleyn, and this year I managed to make my way to the Tower of London for the date.  I visited the chapel of St Peter ad Vincula on 2 of the Beefeater tours, and then when it was opened to the public after 4.30pm.  I saw the famous basket of roses that arrives every year - no-one knows who from.  Other people had also brought flowers to lay on Anne's grave.  The flowers increased as the day went on.  I enjoyed meeting some of Anne's 'fans', and although it's not allowed, I'm afarid I did sneak a quick photo.  Sorry!

3 comments:

Kathryn Warner said...

What a lovely story about the roses! I hadn't heard that before.

Susan Higginbotham said...

Stealth photography--I love it!

Anerje said...

Kathryn - I've known the story of the roses for years and always wanted to see them.

Susan - I did feel guilty, but it had to be done:>